Any form of body pain is an indication that something is happening inside your body that you might not know about. Stomach aches are a common type of body pain that kids and adults experience, and although it seems like it roots from a belly problem, it is not the case all the time. Sometimes, the reason is easy to determine, but there are circumstances when you are clueless about what is going on.
This article will explain the kinds of stomachache one experiences and how to prevent them from happening.
Why You Experience Stomach Pain
There are many possible reasons for belly pain. It can occur from eating spoiled food to being hit strongly in the stomach area, but the tricky part is it is not always just about the problem with your stomach. The situation can sometimes be more than your intestine, your chest, or your pelvic concerns. Your abdomen is home to many body organs, and unfortunately, different health problems can have similar symptoms.
Types of Stomach Pain
Here are the common reasons you may experience stomach aches:
- Constipation – You are constipated when you experience difficulty during a bowel movement. Sometimes the act hurts because of hard stools. Constipation is the most common stomach pain that children experience. Some causes of this are poor diet or lack of exercise.
- Diarrhea – In contrast with constipation, diarrhea is having runny and watery stools. A person with diarrhea feels sick to their stomach, and they need to be near the bathroom most of the time. Diarrhea is also called the “stomach flu.”
- Food allergy or intolerance – When you are allergic to a particular food and eat it, your immune system will react negatively, and this body response can potentially harm you. Food allergy is a serious condition. That is why people allergic to specific foods should avoid them at all costs. On the other hand, intolerance refers to having particular foods that are hard for your body to digest. People with lactose intolerance are one example of this.
- Appendicitis – If you start to experience pain in your stomach and the discomfort moves to the lower side of your belly, you might be experiencing appendicitis. Other signs you will encounter are fever, vomiting, loss of appetite, and pain that gets worse each time.
- What you eat – You can also experience stomach pain when you overeat, eat food that was too greasy or too spicy, or food that is already spoiled.
- Infection – People who have an infection in other parts of their body tend to experience belly pain as well. Having a sore throat, pneumonia, ear infection, or cough can sometimes make you feel pain in the stomach.
- Stress – Many kids and even adults experience pain in their stomach whenever they are worried, nervous, or stressed.
How Doctors Determine the Cause of Stomach Pain
Among all the potential problems and other related issues with the stomach, how do doctors determine the real cause behind your pain? Here is the typical process they do:
- They will ask you questions about your condition.
- They will examine you or ask you to do some tests.
- They will recommend some medicine or special instructions (example: food suggestions) to help you heal your stomach ache.
For cases of appendicitis, you will need to undergo an operation called an appendectomy. If stress is the reason behind your stomach pain, your doctor will recommend a specialist, such as a psychologist, to better manage your stress.
Stomach Pain Prevention
To avoid experiencing any stomach ache, all you need is to take care of yourself better. Here are some tips you can start with:
- Do not overeat. Just eat the right amount of food.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Always wash your hands before eating.
- Eat foods rich in fiber such as fruits and vegetables. They will improve your bowel movement.
- Avoid eating before sleeping.
- Have enough sleep.
There are several reasons people experience stomach ache, so it is always better to consult your doctor if you start to feel any pain there. Consulting with a professional ensures that you get the right diagnosis and proper medication to cure your situation.
If your stomach ache is persisting and you need immediate care, Agile Urgent Care is ready to provide you with proper diagnosis and treatment for any common illnesses and non-life-threatening injuries. We offer extended hours and flexible appointments to offer convenience to our clients. Visit our clinic in Secaucus, NJ.